Category Archives: BRECKLAND DEANERY

Oxburgh Church

MEMORIALS IN THE BEDINGFELD CHANTRY. On the south wall, a large tomb with three large coloured shields above which have recently been re-painted. There is a central panel of Latin inscription for Sir Henry Bedingfeld. The panels below are blank. Sir Henry Bedingfeld’s memorial Centrally with a rose above and three lions’ heads grimacing to …

Continue reading

Merton

On the north wall of the nave is an excellent brass to William de Grey 1495, son and heir of William and Christian de Grey, who is kneeling with his hands held up in adoration*4; he has on full armour and an heraldic tabard. His helmet is on the floor before him; it has lost …

Continue reading

Narborough

Below the Spelman window on the north side of the chancel a stone tablet has been set into the wall, bearing an old brass, which used to be on a marble monument at the east end of the north aisle. The stone has two small crosses on the left side, and it is thought to …

Continue reading

Langford

Farrer describes “a fine monument” in the church, covered up with a view to restoration. In the booklet “Sculptured monuments in Norfolk Churches”, Noel Spencer2 describes it as “A mighty monument in a little church…” and it is of Sir Nicholas Garrard, died 1727, a salter (or manufacturer or dealer in salt or other chemicals3), …

Continue reading

Hilborough

30.01.2012   The Caileys held this lordship from Earl Warren until the early fourteenth century when Sir Thomas Cailey left it to his heir Adam, son of Sir Roger Clifton. Above the west door are the arms of the founder, Sir John Clifton, magnificently carved, the shield bearing Warenne’s arms which his dependant lord assumed, …

Continue reading

Didlington

On the north wall of the tower in an arch are six brass plates, each about 4¼ by 7 inches, remembering the Tyssen – Amherst family members. William Amhurst Tyssen Amherst was the first Baron Amherst, created 1892. He seems to have changed his surname twice, first from Daniel-Tyssen then to Tyssen-Amherst by royal licence …

Continue reading

Ashill

This small village has a remarkable piece of history, dating back to Henry I’s coronation on the 6August, 1100, when William Hastyngs held the manor by grand serjeanty, as Steward to the King.  The Oxford English Dictionary quotes Sir H. Finch in 1636:  “Every grand Serjeanty is a tenure in chiefe, being of none but …

Continue reading

Castle Acre

CASTLE ACRE PRIORY This was founded by William de Warenne, the first Earl of Surrey, to whom William the Conqueror gave the Lordship of this town, along with some 141 other lordships inNorfolk.  It was a cell of the St Cluniac monastery ofLewes,Sussex, which was also founded by Earl Warenne.  Castle Acre Priory was dedicated …

Continue reading

Breckles

ST MARGARET’S  CHURCH By the Priest’s door in the chancel is a ledger for John Webb, Esq., lord of the manor, who died 25  October 1658, aged 70; and Mary his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas Richardson, Lord Chief Justice of England, who died 10 March 1656, aged 56. (Gules) a Fess Ermine between three Owls (Or). …

Continue reading